Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Tabulation #4 - Food Rulz! Food Rules!
1. Bombay Sapphire Gin and Vintage Tonic with Lime - This is my favorite alcoholic beverage. I will drink it without the lime if they are out of season or something stupid like that and I will suffer with some other brand of tonic if I absolutely must as long as it is not the disgusting diet variety but I will go without the drink entirely if my gin is not available. I really dislike the taste of Tanqueray.
2. Diet Coke - I used to drink lots of this but gave it up for the most part last year because of the sodium (I am old after all and have to watch these sorts of things) but I will not drink Diet Pepsi. I can tell the difference. I will go thirsty rather than drink DP.
3. Real Vanilla - I am one of the few women in the world who doesn't care for chocolate. Vanilla is my endorphin booster. Does that mean I am not a real woman, like when dust doesn't bother me?
4. Campbell's Cream of Tomato Soup - I could live on this especially over rice and with hot dogs sliced in. I want some now.
5. Miracle Whip has flavor. Mayonnaise is just grease.
6. Sauerkraut. No way. I don't care if my Austrian ancestors are turning over in their urns, I ain't eatin' rotten cabbage. Fresh, uncooked cabbage tossed in oil and vinegar is yummy though. Caraway seeds are evil taste bud invaders.
7. Cooked celery - It is very important to add celery to your cooking but make sure you cut the pieces very large so I can fish them out of the food or push them to the side of the dish. Cooked celery, with the flavor leached out is just disgusting.
8. Alaskan King Crab legs are the food of the gods. You get to play with your food and make a mess and it melts in your mouth. One doesn't need anything else except maybe some melted butter. Lobster on the other hand smells like a fish market.
9. Childhood favorites: Cornmeal mush topped with melted butter and Nesquik powder; cooked spaghetti noodles tossed in brown butter bread crumbs sprinkled with sugar; potato dumplings stuffed with plums tossed in brown butter bread crumbs topped with sugar; blueberry German style pancakes (between a pancake and a crepe) with sugar. Carbs rule!
10. When we were young (me around ten, my brother around seven) my father would bring home coconuts. He would drive a nail in one of the eyes and empty out the milk. Then he would wack them with a hammer and we would feast on the white, sweet flesh. Better than candy.
Milestone: For the first time since I began blogging, I have posted at least once each day of a month. All say, "Whoo, hoo!"
Labels: food, Tabulation
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
The dog will eat anything especially if it is part rotten and has been rolled in dirt, but the cat will eat only when it sees me take it from the container.ReplyDelete
Nessa -- it has been great having you around on a daily basis! You've brightened your little corner of the net.ReplyDelete
Even the word verifier is impressed: stpendi
WHOO HOOO!!!! Congrats...and you call yourself shy....pfffft I love sauerkraut...go figure...And I think you are woman cuz I sure can here you roar in this post :)ReplyDelete
Wow, I love the colors on this!ReplyDelete
I like food--a little too much, I fear.
Oh yes--I like gin and club soda. Can't tolerate tonic water. Can't drink any colas because they rile up my irritable bowel something fierce--don't ask!ReplyDelete
I must be half a woman because I love chocolate above all things but dust doesn't bother me in the least. Well, at least we're not Stepford wives.
My favorite thing with tomato soup is a grilled cheese sandwich. If I can't have a grilled cheese sandwich, I'll settle for Cheez-It crackers.
And carbs do rule!
I share the same memory with the coconut!ReplyDelete
Oh my! I'm amazed you survived your childhood eating habits! LOL! Except for the coconut! I'm all in on that one! You and I are polar opposites on Coke vs. DP - and on mayo vs. miracle whip! MW GAGS me! I have to admit I prefer my tomato soup without rice or hotdogs... but I like rice with almost anything else! Rice is my comfort food! I've never tried your cocktail -- but I LOVE it's name! ;)ReplyDelete
Oh yea! WHOOOOO HOOO! You GO on the daily post!ReplyDelete
Whoo hoo .. You go girl. Hey, I happen to love rice especially hot rice.ReplyDelete
Tom: Cats are kinda picky or is that discerning?ReplyDelete
Quilly: I am trying to be a dedicated daily blogger. Once I discovered pre-posting it became easier.
Thom: Helen Reddy is proud.
Lily: I found a new button I like when photo enhancing, but I can’t think of what it’s called – I think Color Saturation.
Lily: My mother told me once I was not a real woman because I couldn’t see the dust. Oh, grilled cheese. I forgot that one.
Actonbell: Potatoes are king.
Jientje: I’m thinking we need to do this for our younger ones. The “hair” was always so cool.
Melli: Yeah, the sodas and condiments seem to be polarities for most people. And the bottle is such a beautiful watery blue.
Melli: And thanks for the Whoot!
Blossom: Rice is wonderful in all its incarnations.
Hats off to you, you blogged each day of the month.ReplyDelete
And I too don't like chocolate.
those spaghetti noodles sound delicious. Totally wrong but still deliciousReplyDelete
Congratulations on reaching a blogging milestone.ReplyDelete
I'm with you on the crab. I prefer snow crab, but I'd eat either with some melted butter and maybe some lemon juice squeezed on it. YUMMY!!ReplyDelete
You don't care for chocolate??!!!
This cannot be!
So, you don't like chocolate, but you DO like Miracle Whip. Mayo and Miracle Whip are both nasty.
AND, you'll eat that tomato soup concoction, but say NO to chocolate??
This does not compute!
I think you and I would do fine with one another's cooking.ReplyDelete
Caraway seeds are the devil's sesame.
Nessa congrats on your milestone and thank you for your post. Cabbage has to be cooked and preferrably with corned beef and boiled potatoes with lots of butter and mustard.ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing and have a great week.
Indrani: For me a huge milestone.ReplyDelete
Nursemyra: Yeah, they are completely wrong, but so very wonderful.
Dr. John: One day I might reach your bloggy heights of an annual milestone.
Jamie: I am hanging my head in shame; D
Doug: Oh, that’s a perfect simile for those evil little seeds.
Carolyn: I like the cabbage juice with my potatoes, but the corned beef is another no-no.
I'm with you 100% on the vanilla, but ew - I can not stomach the Miracle Whip!ReplyDelete
Caraway seeds are evil taste bud invaders. LOL!!! I adore them.
We did the same with the coconuts - how fun to remember that :)
Tsduff: It always amazes me how people are on opposite ends of the Miracle Whip/Mayo issue; DReplyDelete