Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Tabulation #4 - Food Rulz! Food Rules!
1. Bombay Sapphire Gin and Vintage Tonic with Lime - This is my favorite alcoholic beverage. I will drink it without the lime if they are out of season or something stupid like that and I will suffer with some other brand of tonic if I absolutely must as long as it is not the disgusting diet variety but I will go without the drink entirely if my gin is not available. I really dislike the taste of Tanqueray.
2. Diet Coke - I used to drink lots of this but gave it up for the most part last year because of the sodium (I am old after all and have to watch these sorts of things) but I will not drink Diet Pepsi. I can tell the difference. I will go thirsty rather than drink DP.
3. Real Vanilla - I am one of the few women in the world who doesn't care for chocolate. Vanilla is my endorphin booster. Does that mean I am not a real woman, like when dust doesn't bother me?
4. Campbell's Cream of Tomato Soup - I could live on this especially over rice and with hot dogs sliced in. I want some now.
5. Miracle Whip has flavor. Mayonnaise is just grease.
6. Sauerkraut. No way. I don't care if my Austrian ancestors are turning over in their urns, I ain't eatin' rotten cabbage. Fresh, uncooked cabbage tossed in oil and vinegar is yummy though. Caraway seeds are evil taste bud invaders.
7. Cooked celery - It is very important to add celery to your cooking but make sure you cut the pieces very large so I can fish them out of the food or push them to the side of the dish. Cooked celery, with the flavor leached out is just disgusting.
8. Alaskan King Crab legs are the food of the gods. You get to play with your food and make a mess and it melts in your mouth. One doesn't need anything else except maybe some melted butter. Lobster on the other hand smells like a fish market.
9. Childhood favorites: Cornmeal mush topped with melted butter and Nesquik powder; cooked spaghetti noodles tossed in brown butter bread crumbs sprinkled with sugar; potato dumplings stuffed with plums tossed in brown butter bread crumbs topped with sugar; blueberry German style pancakes (between a pancake and a crepe) with sugar. Carbs rule!
10. When we were young (me around ten, my brother around seven) my father would bring home coconuts. He would drive a nail in one of the eyes and empty out the milk. Then he would wack them with a hammer and we would feast on the white, sweet flesh. Better than candy.
Milestone: For the first time since I began blogging, I have posted at least once each day of a month. All say, "Whoo, hoo!"